Vegan Food 3
Horchata is a popular drink in Central America and Mexico.
I came across it during one of my trips to Costa Rica.
Its refreshing and sweet taste was the perfect complement for hot days, which is why we now prepare it at home.
- 1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup of coconut / almond / soy / or cashew milk. (I use coconut milk)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute.
- Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice.
- Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice.